Virtual Network Computing (VNC) is a graphical desktop sharing system. It transmits the keyboard and mouse events from one computer to another, relaying the graphical screen updates back in the other direction, over a network.
If you want to try VNC:-
- Download it from http://www.realvnc.com/download/binary/1266 (.tar.gz for linux) or http://www.realvnc.com/download/binary/1276 (.exe for windows)
- Install vncserver on your server and get a display using command ‘vncserver’
- This command will give you a DisplayNumber; keep it safe.
- Now using start VNCviewer on any other computer and give your.server.name.com:# as VNC Server where # is your DisplayNumber.
First I installed VNC Server on our spider server (spider.nitt.edu)
Then I started a VNC Display by giving command ‘vncserver’. And I got “New ‘spider.nitt.edu:13 (ram)’ desktop is spider.nitt.edu:13”. It means that a new desktop sharing has been started by user ‘ram’ with display number 13.
Now from any computer I can start VNCViewer, and by giving spider.nitt.edu:13 as VNC Server, I can get the graphical display from the server.
- At any time I can have any number of display’s of same server form same account.
- To start new desktop display, as i said earlier, simply give command ‘vncserver’ on the server, you will get new display number.
- To stop any display form server, you can give command ‘vncserver -kill :#’ where # can be replaced with the display number you want to stop.